Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Smoky

This is my 10 year old cat, Smoky. She's a native of a South Florida trailer park and has travelled 3 states with me.


Unfortunately for her, Kotzebue is a dog's world. Many people here have dogs. In fact, of all the people I work with, there's only one other person with no dog.



Smoky used to have a dog, a dobie named Canela, but she tolerated her at best. Although Smoky has all of her defenses, there's no good place for her to take shelter here, so she stays inside.

I don't see many cats around, but there are some. Earlier this year, during the summer, I think, I saw this flyer at the post office.


What a coincidence! My neighbor noticed it first, and having seen my Smoky as well, did a double-take. Some time later, another colleague noticed and contacted me to see if it was my Smoky. Shortly thereafter, another one did the same. Smoky may be outnumbered by dogs, but she has folks looking out for her!

I don't think this cat was ever found, kinda sad. My Smoky has used a few of her own lives and caused me some grief along the way. I've told her, though, that she'd better mind her Ps and Qs because there is no vet here in town! From time to time a vet from the Anchorage area comes to town and sets up shop for a few days. You can find out about it the same place the lost cat flyer was posted and where most news is announced...bulletin boards outside the post office.



The other main bulletin board is at the grocery store. Otherwise, news is announced on the radio -- KOTZ.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment