Saturday, October 2, 2010

Noorvik - Take 3

I'm feeling like a regular in Noorvik, AK.  I just came back from 3 enjoyable days in the school.  Programs went well -- a relief since I'm overextended right now -- and people were friendly.  It's always fun when there's also something extra going on while I'm visiting a school.  Noorvik was where the 2010 Census was kicked off.  Census dignitaries came out and were hauled around in dogsled.  The town shared meals of caribou stew, muktuk, and other traditional foods.  Media personalities put their gloves on.... 


Mike Burns, Principal Doyle Horton, Asst. Principal Sherrie McKenzie

It just so happened that while I was there, Mike Burns, the Deputy Regional Director of the Census, was there to present awards to the city of Noorvik and the school for their help in raising interest and kicking off the census.  Now that Noorvik is back in the business of Eskimo dancing any event will, of course, include a sample.  There are more kids involved since last November, and many of the kids look like they've been doing it forever.  Here's a little snippet.


(Just a note on the video, it's taking HOURS to upload.  I had it going last night and woke up to a message that the server timed out, so we'll see how it goes today.  I also have it uploading to my Flickr account, so if it doesn't upload directly through this site, I'll link to Flickr.)

The assembly took place after my last program; I was just waiting for the plane to arrive.  The principal let the kids keep practicing for the half hour between the end of the assembly and the end of the school day, so I stayed to watch them practice.  By this time, I had been to all the classes, and the kids were very friendly (most remembered my having been there last year).  One girl saw me taking pictures and wanted to do some photography of her own, so I let her take the camera.  Here's some of what she took.

Noorvik Aqqaluk School - Eskimo Dancing
Girl wearing traditional "atikluk"











No comments:

Post a Comment