Thursday, August 19, 2010

Typical August?

I don't remember this much rain last August, but apparently it's the wettest month of the year here. It's been so rainy that I was starting to be suspect of this area's classification as "cold desert," but I guess it hasn't really come down in quantities. After days of drizzling, the airport weather station had recorded less than 1" of precip. Of course, without the rain, we can't have scenes like these.




This was actually taken on that trip to the Kug...equally rainy but not as prolonged.

If this rain let's up, I may be headed up the Noatak River with the Hogans to their camp. Actually, it's not even the rain so much as the wind. There have been some big waves crashing over the new sea wall that's being constructed as part of our Front Street renovation. Anyway, the Hogans had extended the invitation a while back, but between their schedule & mine, it wasn't working out. We're hoping to fit it in before I start travelling to schools again.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment