Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Grayling (sans head!)


IMG_2152
Originally uploaded by Gina Landis Hernandez
I also caught a grayling, a little bigger than Marci's. I missed my opportunity at taking the trophy shot because I was in a hurry to put it out of its misery. It's a whole lot easier to eat meat when it's already dead and dressed. I tend to personify these animals or project myself onto them or something like that. I suppose I haven't caught and dressed fresh meat enough to desensitize myself to the killing of it, so I was in a hurry to finish the process and make myself feel better. I did give thanks and enjoyed every bit of it after it was roasted in the fire that evening.


Here's a picture of me dressing it.  (Not sure why the picture posted sideways.)


Graylings are pretty fish with their tall, sail-like dorsal fins. This was my only catch -- we were just fishing for what we could eat out there. Marci's goal was to catch an Arctic char, and she did do that on our last morning there (picture follows). That one is a truly beautiful fish with its pink spots. Notice in the picture how she caught it? Yeah, it's snared, not hooked! I couldn't figure out where the fish were coming from. While Marci fished the last day, I opted for swimming. The water was truly freezing, and it took some work to submerge myself initially, but I did do a bit of wading and swimming; however, I didn't see anything swimming by at all.
Marci's char.                                              Here's a link to more info about graylings & char.

No comments:

Post a Comment