Monday, August 23, 2010

Hogans' Camp

My Cabin
I'm lucky to have some friends up here, members of the church, who invited me out to their camp for the weekend.  It was actually their Christmas present to me.  I and they travel frequently and stay busy enough that we just now made our schedules coordinate.  The first attempt was for last weekend, around the 14th, but the weather for more than a week was just icky -- cold, rainy, windy.  Even last Wednesday was bad and Thursday questionable, but it cleared up for a nice hour-long boat ride out to camp on the Noatak River on Thursday evening after work.  We had about 3 full days that went by all too quickly.

View from "my cabin"
The Hogans have had this camp about 35 years, and they've worked on improving it over the years.  Ron must have sensed my awe at their "camp," because he chuckled and said, "Just because you're at camp doesn't mean you have to suffer."  You can tell it's taken lots of planning, organization, and labor on their part, but life there not only has the benefit of being blessedly uncivilized, it's also quite comfortable.  I even had my own little cabin to stay in.    

The main cabin and shower were down below.  There's no running water or electricity, but they have gas appliances and lamps.  It was all quite cozy and comfortable.
Zona & Ron
Fire Ring


Main Cabin & Shower

1 comment:

  1. Loved the pictures and the narrative. Seeing these glimpses of how life can be enjoyed when we allow ourselves to experience nature is a treat. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete