Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fishing on the Kug


IMG_2148
Originally uploaded by Gina Landis Hernandez
Better late than never? Oh well, at least the weather lately has reminded me of the day my neighbor and I headed out to the confluence of Kagvik Creek and the Kuguroruk River...incessantly rainy!

After bearing with a wet camp for a day, however, the sun was out for most of the 5 days I was out there. It should have been 8 days, but the river level rose around 3 feet with the rain, and it only took us a turbulent 200 meters down the river to figure out it wasn't a good idea. So, it just turned into a camping trip with some hiking, fishing, swimming, and good old quiet time.

In case you're wondering, I did have my AK state fishing license on me! I'm not a fisherman usually, so I'm just using my neighbor's gear here. She caught an Arctic grayling on her first cast. It took me more than once, but....

No comments:

Post a Comment