Monday, October 26, 2009

Plan C

I didn't make it to Noorvik, and I'm actually glad.  It was a busy morning.  I had left some work to do, planning to get up early and finish...yes, those of you who know me can recognize this scenario, all too common for me.  Of course, I wake up much later still grasping the cell phone (that I use as an alarm) in my hand.  Never consciously heard it!  So, I ran around like a mad woman but still managed to finish at least what was critical.  By this time, it's been snowing all night, and there are easily 5 inches on the ground.  The plows even came out this morning.  I've loaded my stuff in the park's passenger van (happened to be the available vehicle), and it's such a cow to drive on ice and snow, don't like it one bit.  I have to remember now, to leave plenty of time for scraping, thawing, and maybe even plugging in at some point.

I made it to the airport in time, in fact, in plenty of time.  It was foggy, so the flight was "on hold" for a little over an hour before they finally cancelled.  Plan B.  I called the school (in Noorvik) to see how they might want to adjust the schedule...fly out this afternoon or push the whole thing back a day, Tue - Thur instead of Mon - Wed.  It turns out that they don't really want either of those options.  This ended up being a bad week for them.  They have something going on with Eskimo dancing and the whole school being released at 2:30 each day instead of 3:30.  They asked if I could go next week.  I could fit it in at the end of the week, so I'll go Wed - Fri next week -- Plan C!

I'm actually very ok with Plan C.  I was genuinely tired and need to dedicate some time to domestic duties, learning how to dress, walk and drive in snow, and to getting out and enjoying the changing landscape.  Also, just this morning, I got an email from a teacher in town wanting to bring 3 different 5th grade classes to our visitor center for programs on Wed or Thur this week (a last minute thing that worked well with her lessons).  Now I can accommodate her.  More programs!  And, this lets me put some finishing touches on some programs for Noorvik so I can be better prepared.  Perhaps this is an example of providence.  God always provides.

I'm planning to get out and take some pictures, but my camera is still in my bag at the airport.  Hopefully they didn't send it on to Noorvik this afternoon!  I need to get over there and pick stuff up.  Catch ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment