Monday, October 19, 2009

Noatak, AK

So, here I am having supper with Triscuits, string cheese and beef jerky in a SPED classroom in Noatak, AK.  I've been in town about 4 hours, and I have mixed feelings.  Really, I've just been in the school so far; I'm about to go out and check out the town.  I'm taking my time now that I narrowly dodged being essentially held captive in the school all evening.  In the other two schools I was given a key immediately to be able to come and go as I pleased.  That didn't seem to be an option here, of course it is a new school building (beautiful), and the principal is out of town.  However, I was told that custodial staff would be here 'til 11:00 and could leave the door open for me.  I was a little dubious about the custodians being at my beck and call; they're overworked, underpaid, and not doormen.  I felt better when one of the ladies actually came to me and asked when I thought I might be coming back to the school.  I said, "oh, 6, 7, 8 o'clock.  How could I know really?  I've never been here before, but I want to get out and look around.  Also, I told our biologist I would take pictures of fish drying racks in town for a grant she's working on.  Well, when another teacher standing near heard that the door would be left open, she balked saying that couldn't happen because students would come in (I agree).  She saw no possibilities for me...no key, no open door.  She asked if I couldn't just run out and come right back soon!  That was when I balked.  I come here at no cost to the school, provide great lessons on a jam-packed schedule, camp on the floor in an out-of-the-way corner, bring my own food...the least they can do is let me come and go as I need!  Mind you, I didn't say it like that, but I guess the look on my face did some talking.  She finally mentioned the acting principal, took me to see him, and he scraped up a key for me to borrow.

With that said, I'd better get a move on; can't waste precious daylight because we're getting less of it every day.  I think we're down to 9 hours.  Winter is moving in.  I noticed yesterday there were thin ice floes gliding along offshore.  Today from the air I could see the frozen patches.  In places the ice freezes in huge rectangular patterns, very cool looking.  I also look from the air each time to try to spot wildlife, but I haven't seen anything yet.  Alright, I'm off to check out the town.  Have a good night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment