Friday, September 23, 2011

Mosquito Haven 1/2 Marathon

Last December I made a decision to alter my habits and drop some weight.  I stopped drinking any sodas (called pop here), spent more time in my kitchen, and started working out.  I didn't dive into it by any means.  The food from my kitchen wasn't necessarily your typical diet food, but I controlled my portions. As often as I could, I logged it in some software that tracks nutrition, weight, and workout info.  The workouts started with just walking, and not super fast at that.  Little by little, I cranked up the workouts.  The food was always hit or miss, but I did go for months without eating out.  The weight was dropping steadily.  Around the new year, I decided that I would resolve to run in the annual Mosquito Haven Half Marathon held here in early August.  There was a lot of work to do to get ready.  I did start running and was getting much better.  Of course, this was on the treadmill because it was the middle of winter.  As spring thaw arrived and I started running on gravel, I realized I had much more work to do!  The hills and the gravel take much more energy than the treadmill.

Then summer arrived.  The school year is busy enough, but it seems that there is indeed a trend for an even busier summer.  You would think I would be able to be more active and lose more in the summer, but between a busy work schedule (which leads you to eat quick, easy, calorie laden food) and doing things that are outdoors but not physically demanding (going to a cookout on the beach, berry picking, etc.) you run out of time to dedicate to fitness.  I noticed quickly that I was putting some weight back on.  I was disappointed but still determined to keep my resolution.


People can participate in the half marathon by walking, biking or running.  Anyone who participates receives a light jacket like this one.  At the end they also give prizes to the first finisher in each category by age class, and there's a raffle for lots of other prizes.


I decided well before the event that I was not in shape to run it this year, but I could still walk it and work on running it next year.  So, I did walk.  About two thirds of the way through I caught myself thinking that even if I hadn't undone much of my hard work during the summer, I still would not have been able to run it yet.  Thirteen plus miles on gravel and hills is not easy!


So, walk it I did.  There's the proof, and there's my time.  Unfortunately, throughout the rest of August I continued to undo my work.  The first two weeks of August were so busy with organizing our Camp Willow (which fell through due to weather this year -- very disappointing), the last couple of Junior Ranger programs, working on a teacher workshop and being available during teacher inservice.  I found myself pulling a couple of all-nighters just to get things done.

After two weeks of "vacation"  (just kidding PEL & MEL!), I came back to dive into school programs and village visits.  The first, Kiana, asked me to stay the entire week.  That's great.  That means I have something they're looking for.  However, it's not easy to be healthy on these trips.  I stay in the school.  I might have access to a fridge or a place to cook something.  However, I have to travel as light as I can because I'm hauling boxes of props and program materials, so I can't bring my whole kitchen with me.  Whatever I take has to be lightweight, compact, and able to withstand being thrown around in the back of a little plane.  It's usually something like jerky, crackers and cheese.  This time I took some tuna packets and pilot bread.

The room I stayed in this year in Kiana looked like this:

It had been turned into a fitness room.  I thought that might be a big hint!  I did have time to use the equipment.  However, since I try to pack light, I usually only take 1 uniform, 1 change of clothes for the evening, and I wear my uniform boots the whole time.  This room was originally a special ed room, and it has a bathroom with a shower off of it, so I could take a shower, but there's no way to wash and dry clothes.  So, I didn't use the equipment.

Now I've been back in Kotz for the week, and I'm leaving for Noorvik on Monday.  That's the way it will be the majority of the school year.  Travel and in town on and off.  I know what I can do, though.  I felt and looked so much better earlier this year.  I just have to pick one of these days and make a choice.  It might as well be TODAY.  So, first steps:  1) stop the sodas effective immediately, water consumption must increase 2) going to the gym starts tomorrow morning 3) by the time I return from Noorvik, the eating out will be at a minimum.

If you're so inclined, make your own good choice with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment