Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spring & Hint of Summer

I've been silent for quite a while.  I just can't keep up with everything, so the blog got neglected.  What have I been doing?  Working, of course.  As my boss says, I'm a victim of my own success.  I've had lots of requests for programs.  Since the beginning of last October (fiscal year 2011), I've given over 130 hour long programs for more than 1,600 students.  Of course, some of these are returning to the same classroom & students with a different topic, so they're not unique "contacts," but that's a busy schedule.  I made it to 8 villages in addition to the school here in town again this school year.  That's 16 village visits over the last 2 years.  In all, I've travelled for work 25 times in the 23 months that I've lived here.

I have been doing other things, though.  I'm still working on the knitting although it's taking less of my time now that the weather is changing and it's more inviting to spend time outside.  I've also been trying to spend some time reading, really reading.  I realized it had been a long time since reading a book that wasn't a textbook, nonfiction or something for work.  I'm also still trying to dedicate as much time as possible to staying active.  It feels great to have lost a little weight this winter, and I can't wait to get out of our little fitness room and do more walking and running outside.  The snow is melting on the roads (there will still be plenty around for at least another month), and yesterday I was able to walk the road that loops out of town around the tundra -- about 8.6 miles.  I wasn't sure how muddy it was, so I wore my boots.  Today's a nice sunny day, so this afternoon after church I'll put on some tennis shoes and jog some of it.  My goal this summer is to run in the annual Mosquito Haven Half Marathon.  I believe it will be in August.  That's about 14 miles, so I have a lot of work to do!

It's nice to have the sun back and warmer weather (relatively speaking).  You can check it out with the weather link here.  Smoky is enjoying the light too.  She's been playing more lately.


1 comment: